Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Morning Commentary

Don't be misled by the title of this blog. I had every intention of writing this in the morning - but it turns out I actually had something to do at work! Ha! :)

Anyways, speaking of work, I've had my fair share of rejections when it comes to interviews. I'm not sure why, because I think I have been a good candidate for every job I have applied for - but that would be a whole other blog, let's save it for another time. Well in January, I traveled to Chicago for a second interview with LaSalle Bank (on their expense of course). Well I found out yesterday morning that ABN AMRO (the parent company of LaSalle Bank) sold LaSalle. To whom, you ask? Bank of America! Ha! I have to admit, I found it rather funny and ironic (kinda). Maybe if they had hired me, they wouldn't have been sold. Okay okay, I know that is not true, but I still can't help but feel pride for being a Bank of America associate. Maybe everything does happen for a reason...

I received a rather exciting voicemail last night from my new coach. Yes, thats right, Coach! If all goes well and I get accepted to Rollins for the fall, I will playing lacrosse again! I am thrilled because I have missed playing so much. And! It is a division 2 team so that means that practicing and all that good stuff will actually be taken seriously. I have to start training now so I don't look like the old fogey to all the freshman haha!

One of my favorite shows came on last night - The Bachelor. That should tell you a little about me: 1) I watch a lot of reality TV and 2) I actually hope that people can still fall in love this day in age. But it got me thinking (I know, brace yourselves, I had another thought). When we are single (and by that I mean, not married) we uncounter thousands of people, and for some people that number may be in the millions, every day. And for most people, you reach a certain age and you get concerned with meeting "the one." The one. Out of all those thousands or millions of people, we are up against the challenge of finding one person that suits us. Which makes sense that there are still people that grow old and never get married, or get married and then realize that person wasn't the one for them. I couldn't figure out if I think these girls that go on the Bachelor are hopeful or stupid. Could they really be that lucky that they don't have to be like everyone else? They don't have to put themselves out there and hope for the best. ABC found their perfect man and he is waiting in a half a million dollar car and a multimillion dollar mansion just for her. Oh but wait, there is a catch. This same man is "the one" for 24 other women. Now I know you are thinking - it's not that serious, its just a TV show...good wholesome entertainment haha. And I get that - I just thought maybe this is the downfall of romance these days. Women are now expecting amazing "one-on-one" dates in exotic locations with seemingly perfect guys. And that may be what some people want to wait for (and they will be waiting for a loooong time). But what ever happened to courtship? I don't see romance as competing for a guy's attention while he is making out with another woman. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I would rather meet a guy (check), get to know him (check), form a friendship (check), and grow together into a fun, loving relationship (check). Trust me, it can happen :)

Thats my two cents...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Love your two cents. Seriously, I watch the Bachelor too and i feel the same way you do. I almost feel bad for people now-a-days that think love is something you should have to compete for. I mean, theres a differnece between fighting for love and competing for it. You and I have certainly done something right in the world to have what we have. :) Also, I am SO proud of you and this Rollins thing! I am praying for you and everything going on for you this week. I cant wait to hear all about it. I love you!

Kelly and Eric said...

I third your two cents!!!!! Love is real and love can be found by those who know where to look... ;)

Anonymous said...

WHIT,

ISN'T IT FUNNY HOW THINGS TURN OUT SOMETIMES?
PATIENCE, GRASSHOPPER.(I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT).

LOVE,
D