Sunday, September 18, 2011

An Ode to Dog Owners

I learned a very tough lesson...

Being a dog lover does not mean I am ready to be a dog owner.

Remember my post about learning things the hard way (or really, the only way)? Well, that was definitely the case this time.

I spent two weeks with the cutest, sweetest, and smartest puppy I have ever met. And even with all the joy she brought to my life, like greeting me with so much love when I walked in the door, I had to be honest with myself and realize that I'm not ready to have a puppy. This decision was not easy to come to at all. Even thinking about not having her caused me to cry. The type of crying where you can barely breathe. I do know that I tried everything to convince myself that we would be okay together. But at the end of the day, I didn't want to have to convince myself. For so many reasons, too many to even get into right now, I wasn't ready.

And to all of the dog owners reading this, I admire you.

You have to be caring because something is depending on you to survive.

You have to be selfless because inevitably you will have to
give some things up for your furry friend.

You have to be patient to train the puppy, even when you want to be
mad when you see a new wet spot on the carpet.

You have to be willing to get up in the
middle of the night when they have to potty.

You have to be responsible in making sure the dog gets enough
food, water, exercise, and quality time with you.

All in all, you have to be able to love with all of your heart.


I know one day, I will be able to be all of these things. But for now, I will cherish the memories I have of Lily and know that I tried to make a decision that was best for both of us.


...I miss you Lily girl...

No comments: