Monday, August 29, 2011

"Mind-Reader-Itis"...Yikes!

Every morning when I'm getting ready for work I listen to a local morning show. Many times their topics revolve around relationships and this morning was no different. They were talking about one of my favorite things:

The Chick Flick


Have you ever noticed the typical line up of programming on TV over the weekend? It's like a romantic comedy marathon. One weekend about three weeks ago, I found myself vegging out on my couch and I watched not one, not two, but FIVE chick flicks in a span of two days. They were:

  • The Proposal

  • Bride Wars

  • How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

  • The Notebook

  • Sweet Home Alabama


I loved it and hated it at the same time. Ok, I admit, I loved it way more than I hated it. Nevertheless, while I love a romantic comedy as much as the next girl, I know they are unrealistic. I mean, would this ever really happen??



That scene just makes me smile. (side note: can I have a Ryan Gosling please?)

Ok one more of my favorite scenes (see - I already got side tracked from what I was talking about because I love this movie so much):



Researchers from a university in Scotland actually did a study on this (source) and found out that chick flicks can create unrealistic expectations for love and relationships, especially when it comes to communication (surprise surprise).

The study indicated that women develop "mind-reader-itis" which means that expect their partner to know what they want or how they are feeling without having to tell them. That all of sudden, they will know exactly what to do. I'm not going to lie - I know I've had unrealistic expectations. I want my own Noah and unfortunately, the chances of that are slim. I have to understand and know myself first before I can be successful in a relationship. I can't expect a guy to know more about me than what I know about myself. And if I want to be in a committed, loving relationship, I have to be able to communicate what I want, why I do what I do, and why I feel the way I do. And, of course, hope that my man will do the same in return.

So I need to move forward knowing that I will be watching romantic comedies simply for the entertainment value. But I think one important lesson can be learned from chick flicks: never settle for less than everything you want! I may not get Noah but I will find love!

No comments: