Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I'll Take The Hard Way...

Have you ever heard the expression
"I had to learn that the hard way"?


I've said it so many times until one day I stopped to think about what it means. Typically people use the expression about experiences that changed them or helped them grow or challenged them. Learning something the hard way implies there is an easy way to learn these important lessons. Now don't get me wrong, I do think we can gain knowledge through other people's lives or reading books and articles. But for something to sink in, you have to go through it yourself. I mean think about it. When someone was sharing with you a life lesson or giving advice, have they ever said "and I learned that the easy way!"? My guess would be no. I for sure haven't heard that. So my theory is that it's not the "hard way" but the "only way."

I know that expression isn't going away any time soon so bring on the "hard way." I want to continue learning and growing as much as I can. I welcome the situations that challenge me because while it may be uncomfortable in the moment, I'm a better, stronger person on the other side.

No comments: