Thursday, July 30, 2009

Home Sweet (New) Home

My summer vacation ends tomorrow (cue violins).... But thankfully I was able to get one last vacation in before my hectic schedule begins. This past weekend I visited my parents in Nashville.

Well I flew into Nashville, but they live in Gallatin which is about 20 or 30 minutes outside of the city. Because my flight was late taking off, it wasn't until about 11 that we reached the house. This was my first time to my parents' new house so I was really excited. I had already seen some pictures but I hadn't seen it yet with their furniture and all the special touches that make it a home. So when my Dad and I got to the house, he gave me the grand tour. The house is so cozy - I really loved it! The neighborhood is a golf community and our house is right on the golf course so the scenery is also very nice. So that night (Thursday), we just chatted a bit, I loved on Sammy and then it was bedtime.

Friday morning I woke up and my Mom and I walked throughout the neighborhood. It was great exercise because it's rather hilly. But it was great catching up with her and just looking at all the beautiful houses. And of course, a trip to see my parents isn't complete unless my mom and I go shopping. This is what happens when you go in to Michaels just for fun:

Then we ventured to the mall and I used up my Macy's gift card. Speaking of shopping and bargain hunting, I bought a dress from Macy's for $20 that was originally $80. And my Mom and I both got scarves from American Eagle for $3 that were originally $20! I was proud of our purchases if I do say so myself.

That night when my Dad got home from work, we had a yummy dinner and then took Sam on a walk on the golf course. The sunset was amazing and it was fun taking some practice swings. Don't judge my form haha.



This may be a slight tangent but if there was ever such a thing as having a favorite bug, mine would be a firefly. I've never seen one in Orlando and the first time I saw one was in Tallahassee probably about 3 years ago and I was so awestruck by them. They appear during one of my favorite times of the day and I think they are magical. There were so many in the brush between our house and the golf course. It was such a treat for me to just watch them.

Saturday, my Mom and I went on another shopping adventure to a thrift store that a columnist called "Ms. Cheap" wrote about in the Nashville newspaper. They actually had beautiful wedding dresses for only $50. I don't believe I'll be getting married any time soon and I don't know how I feel about getting my wedding dress at a thrift shop, but I was intrigued enough to try one on! It was one of those "beautiful on the hanger, but not on me" types of situations. So I walked away with nothing. But nonetheless, it was fun! :) Then we went and saw The Ugly Truth. A little unnecessarily vulgar, but it was cute and we enjoyed it.

That night we met my Dad at his work and went downtown. What a great place to people watch! Ten times better than the airport haha. I was hoping for a celebrity spotting (according to my mom, Carrie Underwood was seen there the weekend before). But no such luck. Either way, we had a great dinner and a great time walking around and being in the hustle and bustle of downtown night life.


Poor baby...He looked so sad just laying there...




Sunday, I was able to sleep in which was nice. After a yummy breakfast made by my Dad, we all (yes, including Sam) made our way to the Harpeth River State Park. The directions I got weren't all that great but we finally reached our destination. It is spread out over several different places so we were able to get out walk around a bit and then drive a little more to see some other sights. We saw signs for canoeing, hiking, horseback riding, and zip lines so I know this will be a place that I will definitely go back to. It was so much fun spending quality time with my parents, watching Sam swim in the river, and seeing such a beautiful area.





Unfortunately, my visit was coming to an end. We went home and I got ready for my flight. The weekend seemed to go by so quickly but I'm grateful for being able to make the trip and I can't wait to go back!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

whit,

loved having y'all up to nashville. your ceiling fan's up and your room is much cooler now.

too bad you didnt mention mom's slip down by the river....lol :)

mom says she had a good time with you at church too.

okey doke,
y'all,
love you

Whitney said...

I thought about mentioning her slip and fall but decided against it :) I had a great time at church too! I'm looking forward to checking out the one in the Hendersonville next time :)

Miss y'all! haha!
Whit

Holly said...

Sounds like you had such a good time!