Sunday, August 2, 2009

Old Shirts? New Blanket!

Somehow I tend to accumulate lots of t-shirts. I think most of the people I know have more than they know what to do with. I got to that point at the beginning of the summer when my t-shirts didn't fit into one dresser drawer. Sad...I know. I have to say that I don't know if what I did with them was exactly original but I love the result.

First, I had to figure out which shirts I was willing to give up. I had three main sections of shirts: Random, FSU, and Rollins. I couldn't think of anything I could do that would make sense for the Random shirts and I still work at Rollins so I wear those shirts very often. So that left the FSU group. I would never think of getting rid of my FSU shirts because they are full of memories. What better to show them off than to make them into a quilt!

I don't own a sewing machine and when I was younger I made several blankets by knotting. So that's what I decided to do. What a process this project was. Just to give you a run down: cut the shirt to separate the front and back, decide the size of the rectangle pattern, cut all of the shirts to that size, decide on a backing, determine how many rectangles across and down, cut half -inch slits around ALL edges, arrange the rectangles, and start knotting!

Here is the finished product:

Close up:

Shot of the backing I chose. Comfy gray fleece :)

I can't wait for the cooler weather to come! I imagine opening my back doors and enjoying the weather under my new fleece FSU blanket that was made with love!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it!! That is one special blanket, that will be special to you FOREVER.. It's going to keep you so warm. To bad you can't figure out a way to do this and make money. It was a great idea. :)Have you started on Stefano's? Miss you <---->

Holly said...

Wow! That is super cute. I love it!