Saturday, October 10, 2009

New Beginnings

I'm 24 and I've perpetually been in a relationship since I was 15...9 years! Today is October 10, 2009 and I am completely and totally single. Believe it or not, I'm okay. Anyone who knows me knows that I love being in a relationship, that's just who I am. But I've finally come to accept that I am in fact not in a relationship. This realization didn't come without tears, quite a few of them actually. But I woke up today feeling good.

You may be asking what is the difference between "single" and "completely and totally single." Well, during the last 9 years, at one point or another, I've been "single." But there was always someone there - either I had feelings for someone, and that someone was giving my glimpses of hope or someone had feelings for me so I was trying to figure out if I had feelings for them, the cycle goes on and on. So I find myself in uncharted territories. I'm in a place where all I have to worry about is me. I'll make my own decisions, plan my day according to what I want to do, make myself a priority and that is so refreshing.

Am I giving up on relationships? Nope. But there are two things I know for sure:

1) There is a lot of learning and growing that I have to do on my own. I have to learn how to be happy by myself.

2) I know that I will find the one eventually so I just have to be willing to go on the journey.

I think it will be fun to document my journey along the way. My hope is that all you ladies out there will be able to relate to the things I'm going through. I'll take you along for the ride through healing my heartbreak, learning to love myself and love again, and perhaps some dating adventures. This blog will be an ode to single ladies so please, share your stories and insights. Here's to new beginnings, I won't promise that I will always be this optimistic but I will always be hopeful :)

4 comments:

Ingrid said...

yay! whoop whoop. I foresee some collaborations between your blog and mine and maybe that book we keep talking about will finally emerge!

Unknown said...

I am SO proud of you. You are so strong and putting yourself first- is the smartest thing you have ever done!! Looking forward to reading about All your future adventures.. :) Love you <------->

Unknown said...

"New Beginnings" - I'll lift my glass to that :)

Anonymous said...

fresh starts are always fantastic events--enjoy them!!!!!!
love you, baby.

dad